- Spouse 1
- Mary (family)
- Bef. 1825
- Abt. Sep 1791
- Penrhos, Monmouthshire, Wales
- 25 Sep 1791
- Penrhos, Monmouthshire, Wales
- 24 Jan 1879
- Caldicot, Monmouthshire, Wales
- Saint Mary's, Caldicot, Monmouthshire, Wales
Occupation was as a maltster.
John's first son's name is recorded as "Merrick", which is and English form of "Maurice".
Presumably, he was named after John's father who we have here, currently as "Meyric". This matches well with Welsh variations of "Maurice". Known Welsh variations are "Meuric" and "Meurig". Jones is a very English surname, but the family was living in Wales, so it's hard to know what to make of all this, especially considering how free people used to be with their spelling. Anyhow, the main purpose of this note is to make spelling issues clear so that searches for Meyric can be made more effective.
- Dorothy Langdon Ivey's Historical Notes Circa 1980: Thomas John Edwards and Mary Ann Jones
- A Small Note Made by Dorothy Langdon Ivey Regarding Mary Ann Jones
- Penrhos Baptisms 1696, 1725 - 1800 Number 449
- Number 409 lists an Elizabeth, daughter of Meyric and Mary Jones, Christened 12 Sep 1784.
- Number 436 lists a Meyric, son of Meyrick and Mary Jones, Christened 10 May 1789.
- Number 464 lists a Mary, daughter of Meric and Mary Jones, Christened 2 Feb 1794. (Hmm, then Ann doesn't appear to be a second wife. Perhaps then Ann is Mary.)
- Number 495 lists a Rachel, daughter of Merrick and Mary Jones, Christened 5 Aug 1798.
- Number 515 lists a Rachel, daughter of Meyrick and Mary Jones, Christened 29 Sep 1800.
- Promising result from the International Genealogical Index
- Register of Baptisms, Parish of St. Mary, Caldicot, Monmouthshire, Wales
- From records made by Susan Valetta Cox when she visited Wales.
- From the book- Sword and Ploughshare by Thos. T Birbeck (history of Caldicot) pg 117
- "The Malt House, in Chepstow Road, near the Cross, was held by John Jones, as licensee from 1852 to 1861"
- ISBN 0-900278-15-3
- The Chepstow Society
- 41 Hardwick Avenue
- Chepstow, NP6 SDS
- "Wales, Marriage Bonds, 1650-1900," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGK5-2HBD : 3 September 2019), John Jones and Sarah Langdon, 25 Feb 1835; citing Marriage, Llandaff, Glamorgan, Wales, United Kingdom, National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
John Jones owned the Malt House in 1850-something.
- 1851 Census - Wales, Monmouthshire, Caldicot
- Lists John's birth place as Penrhos, Monmouth, Wales; Sarah from Bishop Syred, Somerset, England
- John Jones (51) Maltster, Sarah Jones (45), Sarah Jones (13), Elizabeth Jones (11)-scholar, Maryann Jones (8)(simple in census indicates she is a scholar too)
- 1861 Census - Wales, Monmouthshire, Caldicot (District 2 page 5)
- Where is daughter Sarah - she shows up again 10 years later, could she be working somewhere? Wife Sarah's birth place is listed as Bishops Lydeard, Somerset, England
- John Jones (68) Maltster & Grocer(?), Sarah Jones (55), Elizabeth Jones (21)Dressmaker
- 1871 Census - Caldicot, Monmouthshire, Wales
- John Jones (78) (Landowner of 4 acres), Sarah Jones 33, Elizabeth Jones (31), Ann Edwards (15)-Domestic Servant