Source:Goodspeed's Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Northeastern Arkansas: Lawrence County
This material is available at the Lawrence County, Arkansas page at CouchGenWeb. Here I will show copy only a short segment of relevant material.
William Clint Harris
William C. Harris, of Hazel Grove, comes originally from North Carolina. His parents are both North Carolinians, but were married in South Carolina, from which place they moved, in 1835, and settled in Walker County, Ga. His father, William G. Harris, was a tanner by trade, and had followed it for a number of years, but later in life embarked in agricultural pursuits. He was one of the number who assisted in transferring the Cherokee Nation into the Indian Territory. After locating in Georgia he turned his attention to farming, and also devoted part of his time to a tanyard, until the Union was divided, when he moved to Catoosa County, where he died in 1854, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife moved to Missouri, after his death, and settled in Maries County, where she lived until the time of her decease, in 1862. Twelve children were born to them, seven living to maturity, and two dying since then. The names of those living are Mary Ann, Sarah N., Martha, Cicero F. and William C. Those dead who lived to maturity were James F. and Fletcher; the others died in infancy. William C. was the third child and the eldest son. His younger days were passed upon a farm in Georgia, and at the age of twenty-one years he commenced life for himself. His first venture was on a farm in Georgia, and, in 1857, he came to Arkansas, and settled in Jefferson County, where he dealt in stocks. In the year 1860 he moved to his present home, where he has lived ever since, except in the interval when he enlisted in Dobbins' regiment, during the war. He was present at the surrender, on June 5, 1865, at Jacksonport, Ark. On his return home he resumed his work on the farm, and was shortly afterward married to Miss Mary Sinierd, of Walker County, Ga, a daughter of James Sinierd, an old resident of Georgia. Mrs. Harris came to Arkansas with her parents, in 1857, and settled in this county, where the father died in 1861, at the age of fifty two, and the mother in 1874, aged sixty two. Both of them were members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Two children were born to them: Joseph G., who died in 1859, and Mary, now the wife of Mr. William C. Harris. Mr. Harris and his wife have three children living: Martha E., the wife of William Allen; Thomas M., and Amanda G., the wife of Bishop Morris, justice of the peace of this township. When Mr. Harris first settled in this place there were only five acres of land cleared; but he now has upwards of 100 acres under cultivation, most of it being done by his own labor.