Mabel Elizabeth Richardson
|Thomas John Edwards||(family)|
|Mabel Elizabeth Richardson|
|0||Mary Anne Jones|
- 22 Sep 1876
- Camberwell, England
- 19 Dec 1961
- Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California
Emigrated in 1879.
There is some mystery surrounding the change in surname between this generation and the one just prior. As has been related to me (Sean M. Cox) Thomas John Edwards, Mabel's father, is suspected to have run up debts back in England and to have fled to America and changed his name in order to escape his creditors. Some details of the source for this story and any updates will be necessary.
Perhaps it is a bit poetic that Thomas John Edwards, a man robbed of his paternity, and hence, his father's surname; that he would run off and off the surname he received, passing a different one on to his children than the one his mother gave him. Perhaps it is more significant than poetry. An interesting sequence of events, to be sure.
- Dorothy Langdon Ivey's Historical Notes Circa 1980: Thomas John Edwards and Mary Ann Jones
- A Small Note Made by Dorothy Langdon Ivey Regarding the Richardsons and Elijah Ivey
- A Small Note Made by Dorothy Langdon Ivey on an Index Card Regarding Her Parents
- "Texas, Marriages, 1837-1973," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FX76-4ZZ : accessed 09 Sep 2013), Paul Ivey and Mabel Richardson, 24 Aug 1904.
- 1880 U.S. Census
- E.D. 28, Luling, Caldwell, Texas, Page 244C
- Thomas Richardson, Self, Married, Male, White, age:40, born in England (parents also), occupation: Painter
- Ernest H. Richardson, Son, Single, Male, White, age:10, born in England (parents also), occupation: At Home
- M.A. Richardson, Self, Married, Female, White, age:38, born in England (parents also), occupation: Milennor
- Mabel E. Richardson, Daughter, Single, Female, White, age:3, born in England (parents also), occupation:
- All that was viewed was the index. Thomas is listed on the same page as his wife, but his wife is listed as head of a separate family, per the index. Thomas has son Ernest with him, while his wife has daughter, Mabel.